Thursday, 10 June 2021

Digital Fluency Intensive - Day 6 - Enabling Access - Sites

 

Digital Fluency Intensive - Day 6 - Enabling Access - Sites


1. What did I learn that increased my understanding of Manaiakalani kaupapa and pedagogy?


Acknowledging connectivity is a way of life for our students and removing it is one sure way of them disengaging from their learning. Being connected through your kura and teaching is paramount and can be empowering for both students and teachers alike. This came out of the realisation that despite some schools being very close geographically they were very distant in terms of connectivity. Having a shared language around kaupapa and pedagogy increases the ability for kura to work collaboratively. This visibility can be achieved through the effect use of Google sites.


2. What did I learn that could improve my confidence, capability or workflow as a professional?

Seeing how easy it was, with planning, to create a classroom website which could be used as a platform for a range of teaching strategies and activities to help students remain connected and engaged.


3. What did I learn that could be used with my learners?
Definitely the development of a classroom web page with its various sub pages dealing with all the aspects of the classroom programme. As such this visible teaching approach will enable both students and whanau to participate in the activities of my room. 

4. What did I learn that could improve my confidence, capability or workflow in my personal life?

Again, doing a deep hands on dive into Google sites has helped me realise that, given the input, I can use this capability to not only streamline my planning and preparation but also assist students to increase their academic learning and engaged time. This could be done through such features as rewindable learning, embedded links to content and interactive documents.

4 comments:

  1. Kia ora Craig,
    Wow... you seem to have come to grips with the benefits of using Google Sites in two days! I can imagine you transferring your reading programme onto your new site and the kids would be off! And the beauty of it is that all your resources are linked through one portal (your class site) to use again with your next class. So although the initial set up might take some time, refreshing it for the following year should be less labour intensive. I look forward to having a look at the end result!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Meryn,
    Thank you for your kind comments. I am a victim of my own socialisation and therefore adapt to changing situations very, very quickly. However, let us not get carried away. I have found developing a site both challenging in capability and time. The latter I have mentioned in my own bubble group and is something that needs to be addressed at the school systemic level. My site is a work in progress and will move forward hopefully the way I want to, in concert with our school values. To date I have really enjoyed participation in the DFI. Thank you very much to you and your team for allowing this to happen.
    Regards
    Craig

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kia ora Craig, I really enjoyed reading your blog post. Your discussions share your understanding of the benefits of using google sites and the kaupapa of connectivity in your pedagogy. My offer to help in the construction of your class site when you are making your class site still stands. Really value the insights you bring to our conversations in our bubble. See you on Thursday. Amy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi amy,
    Thanks Amy I am really enjoying the DFI and will take you up on that offer. Looking forward to this morning.
    Craig

    ReplyDelete